Formula 1® is a sport where every millisecond matters. With changing preferences and the growth of the digital medium, many fans
choose to experience the sport through the F1.com website. The website needs to deliver a superior experience to tens of millions
of fans across the world consistently. Hence, it is imperative to have a robust platform that can deliver the required performance
and scale with growing traffic and dynamic fan expectations. Some of the key challenges are:
- Every race weekend, Formula1.com attracts up to 7 million fans. Managing this huge surge in website traffic, requires a scalable hosting platform that can simultaneously allow millions of fans to experience the excitement of the sport seamlessly.
- Fans across the globe expect an engaging and immersive experience through enriched and enhanced race content across
multiple devices. To meet this requirement Formula1.com needs to have a robust platform that is able to deliver real-time
updates and information across screens, be it tablets, TVs or smartphones.
- A global brand like Formula 1® needs to ensure it delivers a consistent user experience across all platforms across the globe. This consistent delivery of enriched content cannot be compromised through downtime or any other issue at any point.
- In an age where threats to global websites are prevalent, Formula 1® needed a platform that was ready to meet any challenge to its website. They needed a solution that delivers consistency, scalability and yet at the same time is continuously monitored, secure and reliable.
Formula1.com is hosted on a managed redundant hosting platform at Tata Communications data centers. This is done in order to support dynamic failover features for redundancy. The delivery network is deployed for Formula1.com globally via the Tata Communications’ Content Delivery Network. It is also the first time ever that the network and content distribution for Formula1.com has been brought together on one resilient platform.
Tata Communications international standard data centres have strong business grade security policies to recognise and prevent threats. By using a combination of hosting and CDN services from a single provider to publish and distribute website content, Formula 1® benefits from more efficient delivery of content and images. This worldwide content distribution platform is underpinned by the resilient and high capacity Tata Global Network, caching content to enable followers to enjoy faster access to Formula1.com pages. The whole platform is managed and monitored for security and availability 24/7 by a team of experienced IT and data centre professionals.
- Reliability – The F1.com website is hosted on scalable, redundant infrastructure at one of our state-of-the-art Tier-3 data centers, built to TIA 942 Tier-3 standards to ensure high resiliency and availability. Managed and monitored from our central Global Service Management Centre, our data centers have been awarded certifications for high quality and efficient operations. In addition, our service delivery and management processes adhere to global industry standards.
- Scalable – Formula 1® benefits from a platform that is built to meet its unique requirements, only paying for what it uses, but with the ability to grow services and infrastructure as its needs evolve. With a six level scalable platform that is designed and managed by our team of experienced, technical experts, F1® gets an end-to-end IT solution that precisely meets their IT requirements and achieves their business goals.
- Security – With millions of fans accessing the website, it is critical that the security of Formula1.com needs to be up to global standards. We have deployed layers of security to protect Formula1.com against hacking and DDoS attack to ensure the integrity of their website and valuable data assets.
- Proactive monitoring – F1’s complex IT infrastructure requires dedicated monitoring to manage and maintain its servers. We do this in one of our state-of-the-art data centres that has best-in-class 99.95% uptime and availability through proactive, 24x7x365 management. This has delivered huge benefits in terms of saving time, money and resources, while also ensuring F1® consistently benefits from the high availability and performance.
- Enhanced solutions – Tata Communications’ service platform can handle a variety of technologies, instead of having separate service providers for hosting, storage, content delivery and so on – it all works together from a single solution platform.
Formula 1® needed a robust solution that can also offer added features like a global CDN service and we equip them with a customised solution that allows F1® to deliver audio visual race content to the sports’ hundreds of millions of fans seamlessly across the globe.